By Kelsey Litchfield
Happy 2019 ag communicator friends! We are kicking off the podcast year sharing some great content. In this episode, we get to listen in to a conversation between two great friends. Holly Spangler and Kenna Rathai are discussing PR and editorial and what’s really happening behind the scenes and what we can learn about each other’s jobs.
This episode is packed full with takeaways that I believe can help all of us be better ag communicators. Here are some takeaways I took from this episode:
1. Check copy! And then check it again and have your source check to ensure the facts are correct
2. Working through a PR person is a great way to go when you are trying to get ahold of a source….they have the right connections
3. As long as it’s factual, that’s where the edits should end
4. Gain a better understanding of the person you are working with
5. Always be transparent and upfront if you make a mistake
6. The increase of legal reviews has put more pressure on agencies and editorial relationships
These takeaways just skim the surface of Holly and Kenna’s discussion! It’s really interesting to hear their perspectives and share a laugh or two with them. I know you’ll be nodding your head right along with them coming up with your examples.
The Ag Comm Network Podcast is now available on Google Play in addition to iTunes! We are working on getting the content more accessible to you. If you would like to see it somewhere, please let us know.
As always, stay up-to-date on all of the latest AAEA news by following their Facebook page and the website. Until next time!