Grassroots involvement is key to the success of AAEA The Agricultural Communicators Network. Internships, webinars, The Byline, awards contests and so much more could not happen without the commitment of dedicated volunteers! We would love for you to share your talents with our organization and get involved with one of our committees. Check out an overview of each committee below, and contact the Chair for more information or to get involved!
Committee Overviews and Involvement Opportunities:
- AAEA100– Did you know AAEA is celebrating its 100th Birthday in 2020? This committee generates and reviews ideas for the centennial anniversary promotion and celebration at Ag Media Summit!
Get Involved: Contact Holly Martin
- Partner Advisory– One of our newest member categories and committees, this group makes recommendations to the board regarding issues affecting partner members.
Get Involved: Contact Pam Caraway
- Member Services– Outside of Ag Media Summit, AAEA hosts professional development including Regional Meetings, webinars and more! This committee helps plan and execute these professional development opportunities.
- Communications/Byline– Each week, AAEA sends an e-newsletter updating members on association activities and providing professional development. This committee helps generate content!
Get Involved: Contact Holly Spangler
- Ethics– This committee determines what ethical issues are affecting members, manages the Code of Ethics and handles member complaints according to the existing policies and guidelines document.
Get Involved: Contact Greg Horstmeier
- Special Interest Groups– There are leadership and involvement opportunities within each of the SIG groups (Photographers, Freelancers, Editors, Association Communications and Young Professionals.) These groups provide webinar content and other educational resources to members.
Get Involved: Contact Tyler Harris
- Membership– This committee’s goal is to reach out to prospective members and communicate the value of AAEA membership! They also ensure current members are benefitting from the association and serve as a point of contact for membership questions.
- Future Ag Communicators– Students are the future! This committee works with ACT groups across the country to promote AAEA membership, in addition to coordinating the scholarship and internship programs.
Get Involved: Contact Laurie Bedord
- International– Did you know your AAEA membership makes you a member of the International Federation of Agricultural Journalists (IFAJ) as well? This committee serves as a liaison group between AAEA and IFAJ, as well as fostering relationships with international ag journalists.
Get Involved: Contact Kurt Lawton
- Legacy– This committee is responsible for the nomination process and selection of the AAEA Distinguished Service Award, AAEA Lifetime Achievement Award and AAEA Fellows. This committee oversees the AAEA archives held at the University of Illinois and other duties related to the history of AAEA.
Get Involved: Contact Larry Dreiling
- Sponsorship– This committee works closely with staff to solicit sponsors for the organization, which are crucial to continue providing top-notch professional development to members.
Get Involved: Contact Jessie Scott
- Awards– Each awards category (Design, Photography, Writing, Digital & Social Media and Marketing Communications) has its own committee. These committees are responsible for updating awards categories and guidelines, publicizing the awards program, helping secure judges, creating scripts and presentations for the awards program and working with the contest manager on other projects.
Get Involved: Contact Amy Gohman for Design Awards; Pam Caraway for MarComm Awards; Bill Spiegel for Writing Awards; Josh Flint for Digital & Social Media and Kerri Reynolds or David Ekstrom for Photo Awards.
General questions? Contact Ellie Watson at email@example.com or 706-407-2550.